Sunday, February 4, 2007

Pics from Tuas transect!!

Here are some of the stuff I took photos of during the transect
Hope you like it!

This is of a crab I found under a rock while trying to take a pic of Halimeda sp.



This is a tunicate or what is commonly called "Sea Squirt" as they literally squirt water at you when you take them out of water :)




This is a sponge (Porifera sp.) exposed to the air in low tide
Not sure whether they survive this though as most sponges cannot be exposed to air because the air bubbles trapped in their pores will cause the sponge cells to die off




Not everybody is social on the shore...
This lone bugger just wants to be by itself




These are mollusc egg cases I presume
Quite a few around the place




This polyp (Palythoa sp.) seems to have its space invaded
Kok Sheng and I were trying to figure out what that slimy thing is. I guessed it was a type of sponge but he thought otherwise. Till now we're still making our guesses haha




This is the soft coral Dendronephthea sp.
Its about the size of a soccer ball to put things in perspective




Here's what it looks like inside the big white brocolli




Ahha here's the "onch" which caused quite a commotion
Ria was like "I don't care how big it is. Its an onch!"
Kinda scary looking huh




More Palythoa sp. on a rock. I saw my first small colony of these guys and was so happy until I continued walking on and got to know that they are everywhere!!




And being part of TeamSeagrass, how can I miss the main focus
Our dear old Halophila ovalis




Came across this when checking out the site with Kok Sheng. Is this a cause for concern?




And finally, a view of the Tuas shoreline with the volunteers at work


I'll try to post the rest of the pictures tomorrow
Till then,
God Bless

1 comment:

Unknown said...

you have some really nice picture if you have time i would like to chat with you about fish... i am a new to all this stuff and very very interested.

aim me if you have time
AIM chinaboy1668
IM djchina1668@hotmail.com
or you can email me

thx